Wednesday, January 20, 2010

i wish i was blind.

I don't have much to say because words are inadequate to describe what I experienced today. We spent the day at a school for blind children, and my life will never be the same. If I didn't know better, from a distance I would have assumed that these children had perfect eyesight. I've never experienced so much love and joy in one place. I fell in love with one girl in particular. She took my hand without hesitation, and gave me a personal tour of the property. She walked me into each and every classroom, and though I couldn't understand her, I knew she was introducing me each time. All the students would stand. She would walk me around to say hello to each of them. They would hold my hands, feel my wrists, and touch my face. It was beautiful. She walked me up and down stairs with an unmistakable confidence. She couldn't see me, and we couldn't communicate through words, but our emotional connection ran deep. I have never felt love like I did in those moments, and I am convinced I may never again. She clung to me from the moment we arrived, and she did not leave my side until I was forced to get back on the bus.


I reluctantly said my goodbyes, and she planted the biggest kiss on my cheek. I will adopt a blind baby from India one day...mark my words.





4 comments:

  1. Is Vivick still with the Buntains @ the ministry there? He would be in his early 30's now... he was there when Jason & where there in Aug 1996. What is the weather like for you? And the smells? I can smell it when I look at your pictures, and can hear it too! Amazing - after 13 years.... just like yesterday. Much love and praying for you - Lynette (& Jason)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experiences everyday Brittan. This was such a beautiful story to read. - Dan Ford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynette. I do not believe Vivick works here. If he does, I have not come in contact with him so far. The weather has been quite cool actually. The first few days were chilly...nice for us, but not so nice for all the people living on the streets. Cold weather is so rare here that it really affects the people here. It's warmed up the past couple days and has been in the high 70's. The hotter it is, the worse the smells get, so we've been pretty lucky. Thank you for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading, Dan. I'm honored that you are taking the time to follow my journey.

    ReplyDelete